What To Do After A Car Accident
In the moments after a car accident, the adrenaline and stress can be overwhelming. Unfortunately, many drivers make mistakes or accidentally admit fault due to the shock of the incident.
Remaining as calm as possible and following the right steps can help you overcome this difficult situation in the best way possible. At The Townsley Law Firm, we can help you understand what to do in the moments after the impact. We can also help you with the next steps, including insurance and legal matters.
Five Steps To Take After A Crash
After an auto accident, it is important to complete five main tasks, which include:
- Get emergency medical care as necessary: Call first responders if the accident is obstructing traffic or if anyone has a serious injury.
- Move to a safe location: If your vehicle still functions, pull over to a location that is safe and out of the way of other traffic.
- Gather information: Exchange insurance information and phone numbers with the other driver. Take photos of the accident, including the scene and road conditions where the crash occurred, visible injuries and vehicle damage.
- File a police report: In Louisiana, you must contact police if there is an injury or at least $500 in property damage. If there is at least $100 in property damage, you must file a written report within 24 hours. Often, you might not know the extent of damage right away, so it is safest to file a report as early as possible. Provide the facts to the police, but do not apologize or accept blame for the crash.
- Learn how to get compensation: Insurance is complicated. There are many issues that can affect compensation, such as policy coverage, underinsured or uninsured drivers, the extent of damages and claim denial. Working with a personal injury lawyer can help you get the information and advocacy you need.
Collecting information and getting fair compensation is not always easy, especially on your own. Our attorneys have experience with the car accident claim process. We can help you assess the cause of the accident and your insurance options. If the insurance company does not offer a fair amount, we can stand up for your financial and physical needs.
Get Detailed Answers To Your Questions
After an accident in Lake Charles or the surrounding area, you can trust The Townsley Law Firm to work for your interests. Our team has comprehensive knowledge of medical and legal subjects that can aid you in your recovery. Call 337-377-0584 or email our team for a consultation.