En EspaƱol
The Townsley Law Firm
Call Us For Help With Your Personal Injury Claim
337-377-0584 or 800-216-6808

What damages can you pursue after a car accident?

In addition to the emotional and physical pain car accidents in Louisiana cause, there will also be a great deal of financial burden on victims and their family. Oftentimes, it is difficult to put a dollar value on the suffering victims endured as a result of the accident. However, courts consider all the evidence and come to a fair determination as to how much money is needed.

The damages you seek in your car accident lawsuit will depend on the severity of the injuries and the circumstances of your accident. It is important to note that some injuries seem minor at first, but later cause major health problems. That is why car accident victims are advised to seek medical attention as soon as possible after an accident. In many cases, medical expenses will arise from the accident. You may be responsible for ambulance fees, doctor's appointments, cognitive and physical therapy and many other medical costs.

If your doctor finds that you may need continued care after the lawsuit has concluded, you may be able to estimate future medical expenses and request those as well. The injuries you suffer may also cause you to miss work and therefore lose income. If this is the case, you will be able to seek lost wages. You will need to show that the injuries did negatively impact your ability to earn wages in the future. Courts will consider your past earnings, age, occupation and life expectancy to determine the amount.

Courts may have more difficulty determining the monetary value of your pain and suffering. A victim's mental and emotional state after the accident, the seriousness of the injuries and prognosis for future pain will all be considered. Some states may allow car accident victims to put their pain and suffering damages under the loss of enjoyment of life category. Married accident victims may also be able to claim a loss of consortium. This will allow you to receive damages if your relationship has experienced a loss of affection due to your injuries. In order to receive consortium damages, you will have to have recovered damages for your injuries.

Source: FindLaw, "What kinds of damages may I claim for car accident injuries?," accessed on Dec. 14, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Let Us Help!

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

The Townsley Law Firm
3102 Enterprise Boulevard
Lake Charles, LA 70601

Fax: 337-478-1577
Lake Charles LA Office Map

Phone: 337-377-0584
Toll Free: 800-216-6808